Saturday, March 14, 2015

Stolen: A Letter to My Captor By: Lucy Christopher

Author: Lucy Christopher

Publisher: Chicken House

Released: May 4th, 2009

Official Synopsis: 
"You saw me before I saw you.
A girl: Gemma, at the airport, on her way to a family vacation.
You had that look in your eyes.
A guy: Ty, rugged, tan, too old, oddly familiar, eyes blue as ice.
Like you wanted me.
She steps away. For just a second. He pays for her drink. And drugs it.
Wanted me for a long time.
He takes her, before she even knows what's happening.
To sand and heat.
To emptiness and isolation.
To nowhere.
And expects her to love him."


My Review: Gemma, a sixteen year old girl, is at the airport getting ready to go on a family vacation. She and her mom got into an argument, so Gemma goes to get a coffee from the cafe to "cool off". When she gets there she notices a good looking guy, probably in his early to mid twenties staring at her. He then offers to pay for her coffee. When this mystery guy is preparing her coffee, he drugs it. Once she is drugged, this guy takes her to the middle of nowhere... and expects her to live with him forever... 

The story follows Gemma and her captor, Ty, in their new lives, trying to survive in the desert. Ty feels like he has saved Gemma from city life, and he is prepared to keep her with him forever.... He has supplies for EVERYTHING and it will last for years. You soon discover that Gemma's abductor Ty, has been stalking her for six years! And he has "wanted" her for two... Gemma has to find out how to get out of this place and away from this crazy man. Will she succeed, or die trying? 

 Stolen was written as a letter directed to Ty. The author words things as if she is writing to you and you are the captor. For example: Instead of saying, "He took me." It would say, "You took me." At times Lucy Christopher's writing style in this book got a little confusing. This led to me having to re-read certain paragraphs. The main character starts to develop feelings for Ty, but keeps denying that it's not Stockholm Syndrome... But I honestly couldn't come up with any other explanation. Ty cared for her in a sick, creepy, and demented way, and the main character, Gemma, got that at first but eventually I think she kind of gave up on the hope she will be rescued, and let her guard down. One thing I think the author could of done better is describing the characters. I  couldn't picture them in my head, mostly I didn't know what Gemma looked like. One thing I think Lucy Christopher did well, was create an interesting story line that kept me wanting to continue to read. I read the book in one day, it was one of those books you just can't put down. Overall this was a well written book with an interesting story line, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to read a thrilling pathological YA book.

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. I give that book a 2 out of 5, it just felt like it dragged on for me. I wanted to finish it but it was hard to want to stick with it especially broken into segments as a letter rather than chapters. I didn't know until the end that it was a letter rather than a story per say.

    ReplyDelete