Monday, May 4, 2015

Shatter Me By: Tahereh Mafi

Author: Tahereh Mafi

Publisher: Harper Collins Publishers

Released: October 2nd, 2010

Official Synopsis: "I have a curse.
I have a gift.
I'm a monster.
I'm more than human.
My touch is lethal.
My touch is power.
I am their weapon.
I will fight back.

No one knows why Juliette's touch is 
fatal, but The Reestablishment has 
plans for her. Plans to use her as a 
weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime
without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight 
back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one 
boy she thought she'd lost forever."

My Review: 
Juliette is a 17 year old girl whose touch can kill... Literally. No one knows why but every time someone tries to touch her skin she drains the life out of them. She didn't ask for this to happen but its a curse she can't seem to get rid of. Her parents stuck her in an asylum when she turned 14, and now she's suddenly being let out, but for all the wrong reasons... The world that we know is gone. The climate is a huge mess, all plants are dead, the clouds aren't even white. A group called The Reestablishment has promised to fix our world. But instead of keeping their promises, they're killing innocent people, getting rid of all evidence of our past, and even going as far as to get rid of all language and religion. Juliette is thrown into a world of lies, secrets, love triangles, and deception. Will she be able to use her power to destroy the government, or die in the process?
The writing in this book is absolutely poetic. The way Tahereh Mafi writes is truly beautiful. She uses cross-outs and repetition to show what the main character's true feelings were, even the ones she was to scared to admit to herself. However, with that being said her writing style is one you are going to love, or hate. I'll admit, at times I would have to reread a paragraph of line just to make since of it, but it got a lot easier as I kept reading. 

The stories love triangle was a MAJOR aspect in this book. I would even go as far as to call this a romance book even though it's classified more as a dystopian. Juliette is stuck between two guys; Warner, the heartless ruler who we soon discover has more to him than what meets to eye. Then there's Adam, Juliette's first friend from her childhood. The only one who was kind to her when everyone else turned the backs. The relationship between Juliette and Warner didn't ever feel like insta-love, but the same can't be said for her and Adam. I understand why it felt that way, but it just bothered me. Shatter Me is a very character driven book. All of the people in Mafi's story were complex and had so many layers to them that start to unravel as you read the story. At times Juliette seemed a bit whiney, and her stubbornness and naivety would cause her to make rash decisions, but as you read the 2nd and 3rd book she definitely gets a reality check. I loved how Juliette's actions were realistic  I felt that I might of done the same things in her situation. Overall this was an amazing book that has wonderful writing and characters.

I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment